Pretty great! Controls are a bit hard, but that's cool!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Currently in open alpha/early access.
Gunpods Vagabond is a 2D, side-scrolling shooter with physically simulated, Lunar Lander style movement mechanics. It is fast-paced, hard, and designed with up to three-player local co-op in mind.
The current alpha version of Gunpods is free to download! I plan to follow an early access model with this game, slowly raising the price as its quality and scope increases, from free to maybe $10. There will always be a free demo version available. It's still early in development and completely unknown, so for the foreseeable future the complete game is free.
It is an early alpha, so don't be surprised if you see issues and incomplete content. I recently added an instructions menu, so hopefully that makes it a bit easier to pick up! Turn on 'Practice Mode' until you get the hang of basic flying around and stuff. It is a space game, so you must tap the controls gently to stay in control.
Comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome!
Current Feature List:
- Challenging and interesting movement mechanics - none of this "move at a constant velocity as long as you hold the button" business.
- Up to 3-player local multiplayer.
- Optional "hot-joining" - If on, other players can join the game at any time.
- Configurable controls - (Note: this is newly added and not quite twit-proof yet, but it works fine if you don't try to do weird things with it.)
- Analog gamepad support for all players (should work on Mac now)
- Endless survival gameplay - with enemies spawned in a controlled random fashion.
- Practice Mode - Endless easy mode for learning the controls, testing weapons, or just playing around.
- Boost - a high-speed dash maneuver with limited fuel. In addition to making you move really fast it gives the following benefits while active:
- You are immune to impact and explosion damage.(but not bullets!)
- You deal lots of damage to anything you contact.
- Your weapons are 'augmented'.
- 7 Weapons - each with its own unique augmented mode, active while boosting. You have unlimited ammo, but weapons must be reloaded when their magazine is empty.
- 15 Distinct enemy types.
OpenGL 2.1 or later.
If you don't know what OpenGL version you're running, first find what graphics card you have in your system info, then find it in one of these Wikipedia pages: Intel | GeForce | Radeon If your computer is more recent than 2010 you should be fine.
Unfortunately this is a hard requirement. If your graphics card doesn't meet it, the game will just crash on startup.
Graphics, code, sound, etc: Me. (Ross Grams) Built with Godot Engine.
I am also a professional illustrator and concept artist, to see my work, go here.
New build uploaded, September 15th.
- Fully configurable controls!
- Note: the game will create a text file in its folder to store your control settings. If you ever want to restore everything to default, just delete this file.
- Analog gamepad support.
- For now there is a fixed joystick deadzone of 0.1. This may not be quite adequate if your controller is wonky. Hopefully by next week's update I'll have this configurable.
- Gamepads should work on Macs now.
- Fixed a bug that caused a bunch of errors and occasional crashes on exiting the game.
- Added "Back to Menu" buttons on each page of the instructions menu.
NOTE for Mac: I don't have a mac so these builds are rather untested, but so far I haven't heard of any issues. Gamepad support is brand new on macs, so there might be some issues with that.
If you have issues: Try the debug version for your platform. They're the same except they'll open their own terminal window and should print error reports for anything that goes wrong.
Click download now to get access to the following files: